After I figured out what equipment to buy now came the most important part, buying cannabis seeds. Unlike buying gardening equipment, navigating and buying seeds is more complicated due to the legal issues around marijuana.
- Legal Considerations for Growing Your Own Cannabis
- What Kind of Cannabis Seeds to Buy
- Getting Marijuana Seeds from Online Seed Banks
- What You Should Know About Ordering Seeds from Seed Banks
- Other Places to Order Seeds
- Follow Along My Growing Journey
Legal Considerations for Growing Your Own Cannabis
Here in the US the main issue is that each state has different laws regarding if it is legal to grow weed and even if it is legal there are limitations to how many plants you are allowed to grow.
To give you an idea below are the some of the legal rules regarding home growing cannabis in my state of California (Health and Safety Code 11358 HS – California Marijuana Cultivation Laws)
- Must be 21 years old (interestingly if you are caught growing and are 18-20 years old it is punishable by a maximum fine of $100)
- Can cultivate and possess up to 6 plants at a time per private residence (note this is not per person so if you are married you are still limited to 6 plants)
- Plants must be grown where you live
- Cities can prohibit outdoor growing, but indoor is allowed
Compare this to Colorado’s home growing laws
- Must be 21 years old
- Can cultivate and possess up to 6 plants per resident with a maximum of 12 plants per residence (so if you are married you can grow up to 12 plants)
- In homes where some residents are under 21 years old the grow area must be enclosed and locked and not accessible by minors
As you can see the laws are not the same state by state so it is important that you research and understand your local laws. This will guide you in the type of seeds as well as how many seeds you decide to start with. The good news is that most laws do not specify how many seeds you are allowed to possess only the number of plants that you are allowed to cultivate (plant, grow and nurture)
What Kind of Cannabis Seeds to Buy
I didn’t realize all the options and varieties of cannabis there are. Depending on what kind of high you are looking for or the purpose for using cannabis, there are many options and equally many schools of thought that go outside the scope of this post.
Aside from the different types of strains (i.e. Sativa or Indica or Hybrid) these seed traits were important to me:
- Feminized seeds. Just like humans, plants have male and female differences. You want feminized seeds as they produce female plants which are the ones that flower and produce the bud which you want, I’m assuming, to get high. If you don’t get feminized seeds then you will have to at some point separate out the male and female plants as they develop.
- Autoflowering. Autoflowering strains allow the plant to flower without strict periods of light and dark. This means you don’t have to control the light as closely as other strains which makes it easy for novice growers (like me) to not screw up the grow as easily. For more details check out this post.
Getting Marijuana Seeds from Online Seed Banks
If you are looking to purchase cannabis seeds then what you are looking for is a “seed bank”. I didn’t know that’s what they are called, but that’s the lingo to use when you want to do your own research. For me, that just involved googling “best online cannabis seed banks” and going through the numerous posts that people have already created on where to buy seeds. To save you time, check out this handy post on top places to buy seeds from.
I ended up going with I Love Growing Marijuana for a few reasons:
- Guaranteed germination (if the seeds you buy don’t sprout or germinate they’ll replace it for you)
- Free delivery
- Good choice of autoflowering strains and feminized seeds (more about this later)
- Online promo codes available
- Lots of growing articles and resources on the website
I compared ILGM to another seed bank, Crop King Seeds but didn’t end up ordering from them for these reasons:
- Seeds were not feminized so this meant I would have to spend time separating the plants after they sprouted
- They charge $10 for shipping the US and delivery time can be anywhere from 7 to 21 days
- Product pages not as detailed as I Love Grow Marijuana… as a first time buyer I felt better informed with ILGM
My Experience with ILGM
I ended up purchasing 5 seeds of White Widow CBD Autoflower. I went with this strain since it was classified as a beginner plant and for growing difficulty, it listed it as “easy.” Also, I was looking for a strain with a higher amount of CBD as I had read how there are benefits to CBD when paired with THC.
Here are some of the highlights of my experience with ILGM:
- Delivery was fast after payment was confirmed
- For payment, I used Zelle since it was offered through my bank. One issue I had was since I had never used Zelle in the past there was a fraud alert on my account so I had to contact the bank to get it fixed which slowed down the money getting through to ILGM which delayed my order
- The second time I ordered there was no issue even though I forgot to reference my order number
I was impressed with the delivery time. ILGM is based out of the Netherlands and both times I’ve ordered the delivery has been fast. My guess is they have warehouses in the US which helps speed up delivery. Below were the delivery times:
- First order: Ordered on March 30 and it was delivered April 6 (7 days)
- Second order: Ordered on May 16 and delivered May 20 (4 days)
In case you were wondering why I ordered twice it was because I killed my first batch of plants. No fault of ILGM. It was my incompetence.
What You Get When You Order Seeds from ILGM
This is what I received from I Love Growing Marijuana:
- Packing slip
I’ll be honest. It was kind of anti-climatic after receiving the seeds. It really is just a small bag with the seeds in it.
It’s good the seeds come in an inconspicuous envelope (for privacy reasons), but you would think for the price there would be maybe some fancier packaging. But then again, you don’t really need that and it probably helps keep the costs down.
What You Should Know About Ordering Seeds from Seed Banks
One you decide to take the plunge and order seeds here are the important things to be aware of:
- Most seed banks do not take credit cards (due to legal issues with banking). For the ones that do they will pass on the transaction fee onto you. Crop King Seeds for examples charges 10% extra if you decide to use Visa
- Most banks will take cash via you sending cash in an envelope to a specified location. Extra fees apply too
- In addition to credit card or cash other payment methods typically include: Cash App, Venmo, Zelle, ACH direct withdrawal, Moneygram, Bitcoin and Paypal… a lot more options than your typical e-commerce store
- Sometimes they ship in random packaging. I was reading how Crop King Seeds ships their seeds to customers outside Canada and they say “ Customers from all other countries receive seeds inside random objects such as pens, flashlights, birthday cards and other items.”
- To speed up the process have your payment method set up beforehand. I didn’t have Zelle setup before ordering and my account got flagged so it took several days to get this cleared which slows down when you can get your seeds.
Other Places to Order Seeds
The truth is, there are so many other places online where you can buy seeds aside from I Love Growing Marijuana or Crop King Seeds, but since marijuana still exists in a legal “gray area” especially in the US and customer transactions are rarely protected , you may come across scam marijuana websites that offer really attractive deals that are two good to be true. These websites may offer super cheap seeds or big discounts for Bitcoin and cryptocurrency payments, but in most cases you’ll end up with a bunch of ungerminated seeds or worse, they may not send your purchase at all!
Because of this, we created a list of some of the best international and US marijuana seed websites where you can shop with confidence and peace of mind. So the next time you want to buy cannabis seeds, check out the Top 6 Seed Banks to Purchase Marijuana Seeds Online that Ship to US. These are some of the biggest and oldest seed companies around, so if you see a really good deal on their websites, you can be assured that it’s legit!
Follow Along My Growing Journey
This post is just one in a series documenting my process of growing marijuana from start to finish as a first time grower.
DISCLAIMER: Please do your research regarding the legality of purchasing weed in your state and or country. While we aim to be educational here, we, unfortunately, can’t protect from the long arm of the law.